Innova 3320 Auto-Ranging Multimeter Review
How does the Innova 3320 Auto-Ranging Multimeter stack up? Why do a review of this meter?
Because the Innova 3320 is:
- on my multimeter comparison chart.
- Well priced at under $20.
- The next tool we’re giving away.
- The #1 best selling meter on Amazon.
What kind of auto-ranging multimeter can you get for that price? How would the quality be? Would the Innova 3320 be ideal for use at home? Being a guy that uses meters at work, would this also perform there?
Because I do work in a trade industry, sort of, it is difficult for me to remove I don’t know, the “ruggedness” or whatever I usually look for when buying a multimeter. Do you know what I mean? Brands like Fluke, Klein – the stuff you see actual journeymen electrician use, that’s what I’m used to seeing.
So when I see that this Innova meter is in fact chosen the most, over all others on probably the largest online shopping platform, it puzzles me. I bought the Innova 3320 Multimeter solely to write this review and it will be the next tool given away in the member drawing. You can find out more about becoming a free member and getting free chances to win stuff here.
Anyways, if you’d like to find out if this meter would be enough for your home/auto/work electrical needs, click ahead and check it out. My verdict? Maybe.
What You’ll Find Below
The Innova 3320 labels itself “your personal home and auto electrical tester.” I believe that to be true. I think this meter can do everything a regular person would need it to do at home, or for a vehicle, boat, or trailer.
If you are a serious do it yourself type of person, like you enjoy ripping out walls and installing new outlets, or running electrical somewhere, you may want to consider a heavier duty multimeter.
If, you simply need an auto ranging multimeter for troubleshooting, testing and such, the Innova 3320 might be perfect. This looks and feels like a handy testing meter.
If you camp, or boat, have a trailer, have devices that need troubleshooting such as a riding mower maybe, rototiller, engines, this meter seems ideal. The switch panel uses contrasting colors, unlike most other meters, as you can see. They do this probably so that you can see your choices in poorly lit areas like underneath a hood, or working on your trailer harness wiring. It just seems designed more for that and I feel they did a good job.
Clicking on a picture takes you to the product page at Amazon, or you can click below.
Innova 3320 Auto-Ranging Multimeter Review
First, let’s start with the actual product description. This is the #1 best selling auto-ranging multimeter. It has over 1000 reviews and a 4.3 rating. There must be some reasons right? Price vs. quality? Let’s see:
- The Innova 3320 is an auto-ranging multimeter designed to safely and accurately troubleshoot a variety of automotive and household electrical problems. It’s auto-ranging scales eliminate the need to dial in the correct range when making electronic measurements.
- The 10 MegOhm input is safe for automotive and household uses (i.e., household outlets, fuses, wiring, general-purpose batteries, vehicle battery and charging system, automotive circuits, more). The color-coded led’s allow you to quickly check household batteries.
- Includes attachable test leads, holders and stand for hands free use and features protective rubber corner guards for drop protection. The Innova 3320 has a single setting resistance function for both AC and DC voltage.
Innova 3320 – First Impressions
It might be important for you to imagine holding it, you are looking at it. Keep in mind, I didn’t hold this either before deciding to buy it.
When it was delivered, this is what I felt looking at the Innova 3320 just before opening it. What do the hipster freaks call that now online? The unboxing? Oooh. Fancy. Anyways, here are my first impressions as I held it, and probably very similar to what you’d see and feel when you got it.
Sometimes I write randomly so deal with it, and these are just from notes I quickly wrote down. Hey, when it comes to tools I’m like a little kid. I want it open so I can play around with it. Anyways:
- Says vehicle & computer safe.
- Dial & ports are exposed, you can feel them. Or so someone else can drain the battery lol.
- It’s a sealed plastic case.
- Battery comes installed.
- Tabs on the package show the Innova 3320 as their 2nd best model.
- Noticed the panel has indicating lights, what for?
- How is the technician in the picture holding it like that?
Again, these were just things I noticed before opening it. Now I really wanted to open it and find out how the meter stayed in place like that and what the led indicating lights were for.
Innova 3320 Multimeter – Features
For this section of the Innova 3320 auto-ranging multimeter review, we are going to go over the features that it offers. Meters vary especially by brand and by designation. The Innova does have offer some decent features. Here those are:
- You might already think you know what I’m talking about. The battery tester on the Innova 3320 is a little different. Rather than just taking a voltage reading, it actually places the battery under a slight load and checks it.
- Almost all meters have kickstands. This one does too.
- Standard audible warning. Continuity.
- Turns off after a set period of time of inactivity, saving battery life.
- The Innova 3320 does have some sturdiness to it. It doesn’t quite have the same molded rubber housing but it does have great hand grips on the sides and molded corners that add to the protection. At first I was on the fence about the feel. After messing around with it, I kind of like it. It feels sticky sort of.
- The Innova 3320 doesn’t have the standard test lead storage on the back of the meter. They clip into the sides. This can be good for testing and freeing up one hand but also not so good for storage.
As far as the battery load tester goes on the Innova 3320, doing a load test gives a better indication of actual battery status. Measuring just how much voltage is present the other way, doesn’t indicate to you the actual juice behind it. It might last 30 seconds. The loaded battery test tests that and then shows you if the battery is good.
Imagine you are getting an emergency kit ready or you are testing the one you have annually. You want to make sure all of the batteries in the flashlights are good and still holding up. You’d be better off using this meter for that purpose. I did test a stupid little AA battery, and it indicated it was good. The led lights up as well as the voltage being displayed.
Pros of the Innova 3320 Auto-Ranging Multimeter
Here are some of what I would consider positive features of this meter:
- This is by far the coolest thing about this meter. I have never seen one before and it is probably strictly for the purpose of one person being able to test and still easily see the meter. You can see me wearing it in the opening photo of the review. It is a pretty slick design.
Low Battery Warning
- Battery life indicator displays to warn you to change the battery.
- Again, the #1 best seller on Amazon, priced a shade under $20.
Good Test Leads
- I do like the test leads. They are the longer variety that can easily fit into sockets and tight places. The test leads for the Innova 3320 are 40″ long and come with sheaths both for the sockets and tips.
Innova 3320 Cons
With the features and pros already being listed, I did have some issues with the Innova 3320 auto-ranging multimeter. Here are those:
- The Innova 3320 kickstand is located behind the elastic wrist strap. I guess they couldn’t get around having it back there. The elastic strap easily comes undone (it is slightly harder to get it back,) to use the kickstand though.
Lack of “Power”
- If you were to read from among the 1000 customer reviews, the largest one that stood out to me was the lack of ability to test AC circuits above 200 milliamps. Realistically, even in home circuits, that’s not very much. It’s good for testing but probably not super heavy duty work.
Innova 3320 vs. a Fluke 116
I wanted to test the accuracy of the meter for this Innova 3320 auto-ranging multimeter review. Accuracy might be a concern for users and customers. In order to do the basic test, I took 3 individual readings with each meter on the same voltage source. The results are below.
Innova 3320 Dimensions
As far as overall size goes, the Innova 3320 is much smaller than both the AM-510 meter and the Fluke 116.
The Innova 3320 is 5.5″ x 2.75″ x 1.25″, an inch or more shorter than both of the other meters. The AM-510 is 7″ x 3.5″ x 1.5″ while the Fluke 116 is 6.5″ x 3.25″ x 1.25″
The Innova 3320 is also way lighter than both. This can be good and bad. Lighter for more portability and less fatigue, but is it as rugged?
Innova 3320 Ratings
Straight from the manual, here are the various ratings for the different categories for this meter:
- DC Volts – 0-600, auto.
- AC Volts – 0-600, auto.
- Resistance – 0-20 mega-ohm.
- ACmA – 0-200 milliamps.
- DC10A – DC current, 10 amps.
- DCmA – 0-200 milliamps.
What Was Inside the Package
The auto-ranging Innova 3320 came minimally packaged. It came in a clear plastic sleeve that was crimped together at the edges. Just a heads up, if you win this meter in the drawing, I had to cut the crimped edges to open it for this review. It is the same exact meter featured in all of these lovely pictures though.
Inside the package you get:
- Innova 3320 Multimeter
- User’s Manual
- 40″ Test Leads
- Battery, installed
This meter from Innova comes with a decent 1 year warranty.
Innova 3320 Multimeter Review Conclusion
This ends the Innova 3320 auto-ranging multimeter review. I must admit I am kind of getting into reviewing these meters in detail. It is pretty neat to finally place them side by side and note the differences.
Well, you should be pretty informed, enough to make a smart decision. Do you think this meter would fulfill your specific needs?
The Innova 3320 has several positive features that come along with the low price but it does also have what I would consider a few drawbacks as well. It seems designed for easy testing and not for heavy duty work. If that’s what you need, excellent. I would definitely use this meter around the house.
If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to send an email or leave a comment. I’ll do my best to get an answer.